Heart of Haute Blog
Heart of Haute may have a great focus on the iconic 1950's, but we ADORE the 1960's in all of its fashionable forms, too! This week, we're taking a look back at those sleek and sharp lines to get those beatnik feels on.
Everything in this collection is a great staple piece, especially for those ladies that need to look clean cut and professional at the work place. Don't sacrifice your fashion identity for a dress code. Make your dress the code for success <3
Check out the "Mod Thing" collection here
Heart of Haute is the only vintage reproduction clothing company with a dedicated mod style collection. What is mod? In general, modern design values function, and is free of excess decoration or ornamentation. In fashion, Mod style has its origins with the beatniks in England in the 1950s. Their love of modernism in jazz music gave the style its name. The beats' black turtlenecks were combined with elements of slick, sophisticated Italian suits, and bold prints and symbols adapted from and influenced by pop art.
Mod fashion in the 1960s was at its peak, with everyone from Twiggy to the Beatles rocking mod looks. The mod aesthetics influenced more than just clothes; architecture, vehicles, and even household items were bright, bold and sleek. Mid-Century Modern is a term used to describe the innovations in modern design in the mid twentieth century; the 1950s and 1960s. Areas that had a lot of population growth during this time (like Florida and Southern California) have many great examples of Mid-Century Modern architecture.
Looking to experience some mid-century mod style on your vacation? There are numerous weekend events (or weekenders) that celebrate the design innovations in this subculture, from the 1960s to today.
- Mod Weekend occurs in sunny Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Mid-Century Modern architecture tours, a Mid-Century Modern antique fair, a boat tour (and sneak away a night at the fabulous Mai Kai).
- Also in Florida, Sarasota Mod Weekend is focused on architecture.
- Mod Palm Springs has room parties, live music, and you just might share a drink with artist Shag.
- Modern Phoenix offers an annual home tour focused on a different neighborhood of this Arizona city.
- Heading to the UK? The spiritual home of the mod subculture has loads of events.
Many of us today still enjoy the clean looks of mod style - and a ride on a stylish scooter. No matter where you are headed, Heart of Haute can help you pack your bag with mod dresses and other great retro fashion! Save room in your suitcase next to your go go boots for our 1960s inspired dresses, skirts, tops, and more.
Follow Heart of Haute's board Mod Girls on Pinterest.
Summertime is almost here.... that means days are getting longer, and skirts are getting shorter! Take a break from your everyday pinup or 50's inspired ensembles and test the groovy waters of 60's Mod Girl fashion! We've got three new groovalicious prints in a flattering cream background color available on our shift dresses and mini skirts!
Introducing the Carina Dress! Swing into sweet 60's style with this stunning shift dress. This fab frock features adjustable straps with buckles, and comes with a matching belt to tie it all together! Create a stand out in the crowd outfit with this Mod style dress crafted from the grooviest of prints. Looks like you have a reason to break out the go-go boots! with our our 60's inspired Mod Girl Collection.
Another simple 60's staple piece is the mini skirt. A fabulous choice when paired with tops like the Trixie! A flattering aline style skirt with a big matching belt. Go bare in the summer, or rock it with boots and tights in the winter.
Check out our Caroline Dress - cap sleeves, princess seams for a great fit, and side pockets for your scooter key. So honeys, what do you think? Check out our picks for the 5 Best Movies with Sharp Mod Style for even more inspiration. Will you give the 1960s a swing? Let us know! And be sure to post your photos to Instagram and use hashtag #HauteHoney for a chance to win our $50 monthly gift card!
Want more Mod Girl fashion? Follow our Pinterest Board!
- Alisa for HoH <3
Mod style was an evolution of the streamlined beatnik aesthetic, with a little love for sleek Italian design and bold pop art mixed in. This stylish subculture may have exploded in the 1960s in England, but it has never died out. At Heart of Haute, we love creating contemporary Mod styles for you - scooter mirrors unfortunately not included. Looking to mix a little more Mod into your 2015 style, and learn more about the roots of this subculture? Movies can be a great source of style inspiration, whether they are accurate or pure exploitation. If you are in the mood for some Mod movie action and have already made it through all of the 1960s James Bond movies, here are our top 5 Mod movie picks.
1. A Hard Day’s Night – This 1964 film is an imaginative comedy based on several days in the life of John, Paul, George, and Ringo right at the height of Beatlemania. The movie and soundtrack were both hugely successful, and it features lots of great 1960s music, fashion and décor. Check out our Mandie Bee line for modern tops, skirts, and dresses that would fit right in at a Beatles concert in 1964.
2. The Girl on a Motorcycle – Marianne Faithfull zips up her leather catsuit for some sexy adventures while riding across Europe – this 1968 movie was originally released with an X rating. For a similar sleek black 1960s look, you can’t beat our best-selling Super Spy Dress.
3. Quadrophenia – Based on the Who’s 1973 concept album, the defining movie about the Mods of the 1960s did in fact come out in 1979 - during a Mod culture revival. This exploration of teen identity, subculture clashes, and fashion as a lifestyle remains a classic. For a look inspired by this movie, try our Trixie Top with our short Coco Skirt, or our longer Pencil Skirt.
4. To Sir, With Love – An engineer signs up to teach the tough students at a school in London’s equally tough East End. Loads of mod skirts, dresses and swinging hairstyles can be seen on the female students in this 1967 film. Our Shift Dress in groovy orange paisley will give you top of the class mod style.
5. We Are the Mods – The Mod subculture has always had enduring fans and revivalists in Southern California. This late 1990s film tells the story of two women finding a contemporary identity through 1960s British culture. Try our Doreen Dress for a California-worthy sun dress with sharp Mod style.
First off we have this sassy little number we like to call the 'Carina Dress'. A shift dress crafted from 100% cotton fabrics that are so incredibly groovy! Do you love it as much as I do? I know Megan Draper would love them. :P These two new fabrics are pretty awesome too, we call them Cool and Groovy.
Another set of new items we have just added to our collection is the Coco Skirt. This skirt is an a-line style with attached matching belt.