Heart of Haute Blog
Heart of Haute is known for those beautiful, figure flattering dresses with the swooping full skirts, the incredible prints, and unique vintage designs. While this may be true, we are also VERY, very busy when it comes to making all those solid basics every Haute Honey needs in her wardrobe. We know you mix and match your pieces to get that perfect pinup look. We also know that our Marilyn Top, Etstelle Top, and Sweet Sweater have been at the top of your shopping list! If you don't own one of these awesome staples yet, today may be the day to try one...or all three!!!
And if you DO have one of these, just remember that they all come in an array of different colors and prints. Here are some of our top picks and best sellers that every Haute Honey needs in her closet this season!
1. The Aimee Dress in Sunshine Daisy
In a world that may be turning gray, you can still brighten up the day in this beautiful Sunshine Daisy print! Just the right colors to welcome in the Fall. We've done it up in our classic Aimee dress.
2. The Sweet Sweater
It is an undeniable truth that the Sweet Sweater is one of our greatest inventions! You will never have a better sweater, we promise. This baby is there right when you need it. Compact enough to roll up and hold in your purse until you need it. The Sweet sweater also comes in tons of great solid colors, so you can mix and match with your closet as needed.
3. The Haute Circle Skirt in Patriot Plaid Flannel
I bet you didn't think you could wear flannel outside of some comfy PJ's or when your boyfriend let's you borrow his flannel at camp, right? WRONG!!! A few years ago, Heart of Haute took a great liking to a line of flannels and decided they were fashion worthy. This means warm, cotton dresses and skirts for you! Not everyone can hang with wool, I get it. Our flannels are high quality and light weight. If you don't know, it may be time to find out.
4. The Diva Jacket
So far proven to become a favorite among the honeys and fashion bloggers like Miss Amy May and Teer Wayde. This fitted jacket with the adorable peplum is chic, stlyin', and will automatically make you feel like...well...a DIVA. Don't believe us? Find out for yourself. In fact, we had such a great response from ya'll, we added this style in MORE COLORS!!!! Don't forget the matching skirt!
5. The Estelle Blouse in Chambray Dot
The Estelle Top is the sweetest blouse vintage fashion enthusiasts have seen yet! This has become a swift favorite for its classic very-vintage styling. Honeys LOVE to pair this blouse with our skirts.
6. The Vogue Pencil Skirt
Classic lines for you classic lookin' gals out there. The Vogue skirt is a high-waisted dream boat of a skirt with a matching belt, stretch twill to hug your lady curves, and a sensational walking slit. Knock 'em dead, Honey. The Vogue Pencil skirt comes in black, navy, and red.
7. The Manhattan Dress in Caramel
The Manhattan Dress was a complete success last Autumn when we first released her to the world! Now, we've added a delightfully dapper new color. Feast your eyes on this Caramel color Manhattan dress.
8. The Doreen Dress in Watch Plaid
Back to School Babes, be glad! Mandie Bee's spin on this classic print will have every head turnin' while you waltz your way through the commons. It even has 2 front pockets to hold your phone when you're on the go go go!
9.The Elsa Top in Tartan Plaid
The Elsa Blouse is the long-sleeved sister of our popular Estelle Blouse. It's the perfect blouse for layering up with sweaters and skirts. To keep things classic, we chose this red Tartain plaid to
10. The Super Spy Dress
Ah yes, will we ever get tired of this dress? 10,000 happy customers agree that this is the dress of the century! Modeled by our pal, Bernie Dexter, The infamous Super Spy Dress has been a part of our line since 2005 and it is STILL a best selling item every Fall and Winter season. Honeys even admit to re-ordering when their original one begins to show its wear....it's timeless. It's sexy. It's got a cool name! (I sometimes like to believe it was the inspiration for Lana's wardrobe on the Archer TV show.)
Bonus Feature! Because Our Super Spy Dress is such a hot seller, it only made sense to offer the same classic cut as a top!
An interest in the exotic (and largely imagined) lifestyle of the South Pacific has been a part of American fashion and culture since the 1920s. In the 1940s, many served in the South Pacific during World War II, and returned home with tales of palm trees and rum. Hawaii's 1959 statehood and the advent of quick and more affordable jet travel made it a popular - yet still exotic - travel destination. "Trader Vic" Bergeron opened his first restaurant in California in 1934, serving an approximation of Cantonese food and concocting cocktails like the Mai Tai. Mid-century America was crazy for Polynesian pop culture in the 1950s and 1960s: Tiki bars, backyard luaus, and Exotica music and movies were everywhere.
The tiki trend vanished from the mainstream in the 1970s, but it has recently found new devotees and an increase in popularity. Those who still still celebrate the sips, styles and sounds from this era meet up at various tiki weekend parties all over the country, and Tiki Oasis is the biggest and longest-running event.
Each year, Tiki Oasis has a different theme. For 2016, the theme is Party on Monster Island - “From rubber Godzillas tearing apart the South Seas to surfin, Go Go dancing Frankenstein and Wolfman, creatures have always been lurking in paradise.”
If you attend Tiki Oasis, you will probably want a couple of outfits that work with the Party on Monster Island theme, plus some of your best and brightest aloha wear, whether vintage or new. Here are our ideas for Tiki Oasis 2016:
- The 1940s brought us loads of creepy monster movies, from Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man to The Cat People. For a 1940s scream queen look, try the Madison Dress, the Manhattan Dress, or the Diva Suit in Navy, Red, or Black. The Betsy Blouse or Gretta Top are great separates to complete your “sexy scientist who saves the day” look. For a ton of movie gossip and inspirational images, check out Heroines & Scream Queens of Classic Horror: The 1940s.
- For a classic 1950s damsel in distress look, try our Diner Dress, the Elizabeth Dress in our new border print Bethany Floral, or the Haute Circle Skirt in Picnic Gingham. Get ready by watching Creature from the Black Lagoon or Plan 9 From Outer Space. Shop Vampira’s closet with the Ella Top in Black Stripe, The Mod Dress in Black, and the best-selling Super Spy Dress.
- Some of the monsters in vintage media came from other planets. As space exploration increased in the 1960s, so did our imagined fears. To create a retro 1960s space babe look, try our Doreen Dress, Coco Skirt, Twirl Skirt in Cosmos print, or the Fifi Dress in a Navy or Orange space age star print. Need more alien invasion inspiration? Check out this awesome list of horror, fantasy, and science fiction films of 1960s.
If you are looking for some tiki bar basics, don’t miss out on our Paradise, Sweetie, and Rebecca Dresses, all available in our tapa cloth inspired Tiki Serenade Print. Don’t forget to pack a new hair flower, and a sweater to ward off any air-conditioned chill. We have colors and styles ranging from basic black to fashionable coral. Need to save some money for mai tais? Check out our Sale Rack for some exclusive South Pacific Style savings, including:
Enjoy your visit to Monster Island, and if you wear Heart of Haute at Tiki Oasis 2016, don’t forget to tag yourself as a #hautehoney!
Phoenix based Pinup Photographer and long-time-darling friend, Tara O, is making her way to Sunny California yet again to capture the beauties we have in our sprawling land. Care to take a stab at Pinup modeling? Need a fun NEW never-shot-in-before Tiki themed location? Book this shoot! I'll be there, too ;) All bookings will also be entered in a drawing to win a Heart of Haute dress of their choice, up to a $120 value. Whoa! Yeah, I know. I wont enter the drawing, though.
To set up an appointment, please contact Tara directly at : Tara@taraophotos.com And if you're in need of some Tiki Tiki dresses, let's take a gander at some of the styles HoH has to offer!
Hope to see you there! Aloha!
With Love and No Regrets,
Mandie BeeFollow Heart of Haute's board Tiki Style from Heart of Haute on Pinterest.
You may have noticed a beautiful new face adorning the HoH website and instagram feed lately.... Well she's a blonde bombshell who spends her days portraying every pinup's idol Miss Marilyn Monroe at the very fun Universal Studios Hollywood! Check out our interview with this lovely lady.
1. Tell us 5 fun facts about yourself! - I play a dead hollywood icon at Universal Studios, Hollywood! - I'm obsessed with Chipotle - all my friends know to give me a Chipotle gift card for my b-day. - My favorite movie is 'A League of Their Own' and I can quote the whole thing! - I have a weakness for men in nice suits. (like Jimmy Fallon , and Roger Sterling from 'Mad Men') - I have a good sense of humor and love meeting people with one too, most of my friends should be on SNL!
2. How does vintage inspired fashion make you feel? -Vintage inspried fashion makes me feel unique and classy - you don't find many women dressing like this today, and when I do decide to dress vintage when I go out I will always receive a compliment from a stranger, and not a man but usually a fellow woman! Once I got hired as Marilyn at Universal Studios I had to become familiar with all her movies and any documentation there was on her, and when I was researching I fell in love with the classic old hollywood world of glamour. Not only did I love Marilyn but I started looking up other famous movie stars from the era and became fascinated with their style and history. My top girls are Betty Grable, Lana Turner, Anita Ekberg, Hedy Lamar and Rita Hayworth. These women shaped me, I wanted to look like them, act like them, and I quickly found other people shared the same interests with modern takes on the era.. then I found clothing stores, models & burlesque performers and I just can't get enough! I guess what I'm trying to say is that I love companies like Heart of Haute who are keeping the classic glamourous style and fashion alive!
3. Have you always been confident in your curves? -Curves, what curves? Haha! In highschool I was flat everywhere and skinny - flat enough to play checkers on. But after going through the awkward stage I found role models with the same body type as me like Gwen Stefani, who I thought were gorgeous! I took lil bits and pieces of what they dressed like and made it my own. Plus now I can thank Chipotle for the little butt it gave me - still getting used to that! :p
4. What are your top 5 favorite Heart of Haute pieces? - Only 5??!
- I'll start with the Hilda Dress - the little puff sleeves always make my arms look good and my waist look smaller!
- the Marseilles Dress in Baby Blue Sateen - It makes me feel like Cinderella! Good for disney-bounding!
- The Gigi Tee is a very sexy top and I feel a bit like Wanda Woodward from 'CryBaby'- who I adore!
- Super Spy Dress in Black - it's mysterious, tight-fitting and classic. I feel like scatting while wearing it!
- My favorite piece is the Diva Suit in Ivory - I have never felt more like Lana Turner in my life. It's great for business yet so well fitted, and comfy!
5. What are your goals for your modeling career? - I want to continue my modeling career for as long as I can! I enjoy it too much and the clothes - oh you can never go wrong! Vintage fashion will always be in style I like meeting people in this field who've got similar interests and getting to see their individual take on it.
Haute Honey Rachel Jensen of Chicago Chic reviews her favorite Heart of Haute dresses and separates!
If you're a pinup lover and have an instagram you've probably seen some photos of this gorgeous doll floating around your feed! This curvaceous lady is Rachel Jenson of the popular Chicago Chic Blog. She reviews the most glamorous of clothing companies, including Wheels & Dollbaby, and Dita Von Teese. We collaborated with this lovely lady and couldn't believe how beautiful her photos are! Her corseted curves and porcelain complexion make a beautiful silhouette for our pieces! Check her out in the Estelle Top in Black:
Topped off with matching Lil Lou Lou hair bows! This dress in Red Gingham is perfect for Valentine's day! And a classic spring choice. Rachel takes our spring classic and makes it fantastic!
Has this extra chilly winter got you feeling blue? Never fear, honeys... springtime is closer than you think! And we at least will give you a little taste of what you have to look forward to in the coming months! But don't worry... we won't give away all the secrets! ;)
Springtime? FLORALS! Of course. There will be quite a few completely new styles this season, from the Mandie Bee & Teresa Marie Studios lines! However for the sake of bloggyness (and because we haven't photographed the samples yet) we're going to focus on PRINTS! Because that's an important factor in every shopper's mindset.
This one we lovingly call 'Blush' as it is the perfect shade of rosy pink! Uhh, I just adore it, don't you? This one will be featured on a brand new dress style that, in a few words, can be described as the Monique dress' big, billowy sister! The Mercedes dress! As always, start planning your spring wardrobe by keeping a close eye on our 'Coming Soon' section!
Las Vegas is a great vacation spot, year-round. Winter still has better weather than most of the country, and killer off-season deals. For total Vegas virgins, my crash course is that there are 2 main tourist areas – downtown and the strip. They are not far apart in a car, and there is a bus (the Deuce) that runs between the two. I personally like staying downtown, but still going up to the strip.
Where to Stay in Las VegasDowntown is a little bit more “old Vegas,” with vintage casinos, cheaper prices, and Sinatra and Elvis impersonators everywhere. Take some free pulls on Fremont Street, get your photo with a Million Bucks at Binion’s, play some giant board games at the Gold Spike, and check out the cocktail lounge in the El Cortez (formerly owned by Bugsy Siegel). The Strip is the Strip – I don't have much new to say. Things are a lot bigger and further apart than you may think – keep that in mind when choosing where to stay.
- The Venetian has one of my favorite lobbies and is centrally located. The also-central Flamingo has more kitsch at less cost.
- The Platinum Hotel is my favorite non-smoking, non-gaming, off-strip spot, with huge suites and a rare indoor pool.
- The Delano at Mandalay Bay has the only affordable 2 bathroom suites I've found. Mandalay Bay has lot of in-house shopping and dining options, and is connected to the Luxor.
- Look into the suites at the more expensive spots if you have a big group – they just may be cheaper than 2 or 3 rooms, particularly on Friday and Saturday nights.
- Circus Circus has an actual midway and amusement park in addition to the casino, and free performers all day long.
If you want to see a certain show, look into a night staying at the hosting hotel. That will give you the option of getting dressed up and rocking some killer shoes without a killer journey. The Beatles LOVE at the Mirage has been described as life-changing, and will give you the chance to hang at the 1960s ultra-mod Revolution Lounge – complete with go-go dancers. Pack some of our best mod looks - the Carina Dress or CoCo skirt are perfect.
Maybe it is because I need Excel for any math beyond my fingers, but I am just not a big gambler. However, I will post up at a low-stakes slot on occasion to rest my feet and get a few free drinks. If you like to gamble, do some at the casino where the shows you want to see are – you just may get offered a free ticket.
A Stylish Retro Suitcase
Now, let’s finish packing! Visiting Las Vegas always gives me shoe anxiety. It’s the dichotomy of wanting to look your retro best and having to walk miles each day. I really advise being comfortable – painful feet will ruin your night. Yes, you will be next to a woman in a ball gown, but a great grandma in sweatpants will be on your other side. Truly anything goes. I do flats and even simple sneakers. For vintage inspired Vegas glamour, you can’t go wrong with the classic style of our Milan and Monte Carlo dresses for a fancy 1950s supper club dinner.
Hitting Frankie’s Tiki Room, or the luau at Treasure Island? Pack a skirt or dress in our Tiki Serenade print for a tropical desert moment. Frankie's is worth a trip for retro tiki freaks - it’s between the strip and downtown – keep that in mind to save on cabs. They do offer an aloha shirt discount for drinks on Fridays!
All of those flashy late nights will wear you out. Bring some comfortable knits for a relaxed look on a tired day. Recover with some relaxed shopping at the Container Park downtown, or at any of the malls on the Strip. Our best-selling Super Spy dress and top are flattering and refined yet comfortable. Don’t forget a sweater – it gets cold in the desert at night, and casino A/C is no joke. Las Vegas has loads of interesting subculture, both past and present.
Whether you like, art, food, fashion, music, theater, burlesque, intense rides, or plain old people watching - craft cocktails or foot long frozen margaritas, spenders or free fun seekers - everyone can enjoy Vegas. Overall, Enjoy yourself, and put $5 on red for me!
Blog Share! Lovely fashion blogger Erin Smith reviews our 'Milan Dress' in 'Regency Smoke' on her blog - The Life and Times of Erin Smith Love this festive frock? It's still available for a limited time - shop our 'Teresa Marie Studio' collection. Isn't she just the cutest? Erin has a flair for accessorizing her outfits perfectly! And she always photographs her ensembles in the coolest backgrounds! Check out her blog and see for yourself! Can't get enough? Follow Erin on: Tumblr
Teer Wayde has done it again! Our Curvacious Cutie from Melbourne takes beautiful editorial photos in some of our most coveted standards including the Marilyn Top, the new Estelle Blouse, and the infamous Super Spy Dress. You can click on her photos below to find the individual items, but to read her reviews, please visit her blog, Curves to Kill!
The Tara Top & Marilyn Top in Leopard are both discontinued but will be on SALE this weekend (Dec. 5-6, 2014) during our major clearance on the Heart of Haute Sale Rack- be sure to Check it out!