Posted on March 30 2015
Mod style was an evolution of the streamlined beatnik aesthetic, with a little love for sleek Italian design and bold pop art mixed in. This stylish subculture may have exploded in the 1960s in England, but it has never died out. At Heart of Haute, we love creating contemporary Mod styles for you - scooter mirrors unfortunately not included. Looking to mix a little more Mod into your 2015 style, and learn more about the roots of this subculture? Movies can be a great source of style inspiration, whether they are accurate or pure exploitation. If you are in the mood for some Mod movie action and have already made it through all of the 1960s James Bond movies, here are our top 5 Mod movie picks.
1. A Hard Day’s Night – This 1964 film is an imaginative comedy based on several days in the life of John, Paul, George, and Ringo right at the height of Beatlemania. The movie and soundtrack were both hugely successful, and it features lots of great 1960s music, fashion and décor. Check out our Mandie Bee line for modern tops, skirts, and dresses that would fit right in at a Beatles concert in 1964.
2. The Girl on a Motorcycle – Marianne Faithfull zips up her leather catsuit for some sexy adventures while riding across Europe – this 1968 movie was originally released with an X rating. For a similar sleek black 1960s look, you can’t beat our best-selling Super Spy Dress.
3. Quadrophenia – Based on the Who’s 1973 concept album, the defining movie about the Mods of the 1960s did in fact come out in 1979 - during a Mod culture revival. This exploration of teen identity, subculture clashes, and fashion as a lifestyle remains a classic. For a look inspired by this movie, try our Trixie Top with our short Coco Skirt, or our longer Pencil Skirt.
4. To Sir, With Love – An engineer signs up to teach the tough students at a school in London’s equally tough East End. Loads of mod skirts, dresses and swinging hairstyles can be seen on the female students in this 1967 film. Our Shift Dress in groovy orange paisley will give you top of the class mod style.
5. We Are the Mods – The Mod subculture has always had enduring fans and revivalists in Southern California. This late 1990s film tells the story of two women finding a contemporary identity through 1960s British culture. Try our Doreen Dress for a California-worthy sun dress with sharp Mod style.