Heart of Haute Blog
It's tiki time! From Tiki Caliente, East to Hukilau, and back West to Tiki Oasis, the season of Polynesian pop weekenders is upon us. Subculture weekend events keep getting bigger and bigger; Viva Las Vegas has been going strong for over 15 years now. These events make fun short vacations - it's a great chance to meet like-minded retro fashion freaks, and show off your best outfits.
Retro style parties are practically a vintage fashion competition. The problem with vintage clothing is that there is no size range - it either fits or it doesn't. At Heart of Haute, we can help everyone get the look, with vintage inspired clothing in sizes from XS to plus size 3X! Looking for some new pieces for your tiki pin up look? We have two great aloha prints in red and navy (look like a vintage Mai Kai Calendar girl), in 3 dress styles.
We are excited to offer our Sweetie Dress, Paradise Dress, Ellie Tie Top, and Twirl Skirt in the new tapa cloth inspired Tiki Serenade print. What is tapa cloth? It is a fabric traditionally made out of bark in Pacific Islands such as Tonga, Samoa, and Fiji. The word tapa comes from Tahiti - in Hawai'i, this fabric is known as kapa. It is decorated by stamping or stencilling, usually in a geometric pattern of decorative images. For clothing, tapa patterned cotton fabrics like our Tiki Serenade are now more common. The bark and fiber tapa cloth is often used in decor, or for ceremonial purposes.
There are a lot of pool parties at these events, so don't forget a cover-up or two; our Knotty Dress and Ellie Tie Top are good choices. Pack the Sweet Sweater for chilly nights or air conditioned venues. Don't forget your feet - the Keke Wedges from Bettie Page shoes will get attention while keeping you more comfortable via a platform and wedge heel. Finish your look with a hair flower (or five), and you are set - whether you are taking off for a weekend, or just taking over a stool at your local tiki bar. I will be at Hukilau 2014 - will you?
P.S. Remember to check our sale rack! There are some retro tiki style gems - a unique version of our Paradise Dress, the poolside-perfect Nice Dress, some halter tops, and more.
What a lovely weekend we had! This past Saturday afternoon we had our Pre-Viva Shopping sale, hosted by one of our favorite stockists - Roadkill Ranch! Roadkill ranch is am amazing store that's been catering to both rockabilly babes and boho-chic fashionistas of Fullerton since 1991!
We were joined by lovely Nicholle of NicCoCo Creations, one of the newest and most popular designers of pinup hair flowers.
Nicholle Saccone and Mandie Bee
Our wonderful host ladies at Roadkill Ranch provided sangria and treats! YUM.
We got to shop and hang out with some of our customers too!
A big thanks to everyone who came out to party with us - we had a spectacular time! Keep your eyes peeled on our facebook for all the news on upcoming events. We unfortunately won't be having a booth at Viva Las Vegas this time around, for the first time in 7 years! Mandie Bee will be roaming around though! If you want to purchase our dresses at Viva, stop by the My Baby Jo booth.
Have fun at Viva, everybody! ;)Facebook / Instagram / Etsy
<3 Ali for HoH
- Bring more than one bathing suit. A lot of the events are poolside, and you don't want to be pulling on a soggy suit after a midnight dip in the Ocean. A stylish swimsuit cover up, like our quick drying Knotty Dress, is also a must.
- At the Hukilau, the Mai Kai can be quite warm inside. I like a cocktail dress that will still keep me cool. The Sweetie Dress in Hip Kitty has an authentic vintage shape, and a print that will help you stand out in the sea of floral aloha wear. Get to the Mai Kai with plenty of time before your dinner show reservation to enjoy the gardens and the great happy hour prices in the Molokai Bar. The Moonkist Coconut is my favorite drink.
- The Paradise Dress has a great retro wiggle dress shape in a perfect tropical pattern, with a faux sarong front that ties at the waist.
- There is a lot of standing, dancing, and walking around. I like wedges for just a little more comfort.
- Tiki Oasis has a theme each year - for 2013, it's "Hulabilly." For this mix of Hawaiian and country rockabilly style, bring our Ellie Tie Front Top in Red Gingham, a sweet Heart of Haute top, or gingham headbands and hair bows. Our best selling Sweetie Dress comes in red, blue, olive, and black gingham - the perfect fit for this "Hawaiian Hootenanny."
- Accessories! These parties are not the time to be subtle. I always bring tons of hair flowers, sunglasses, and jewelry. A few extra to loan to your best friend is always a good plan.
- I don't actually stay at the official Hukilau hotel(s). I like the Best Western Oceanside. It's right next door and has a cute little pool and free breakfast.
- Don't overdo it! Take a nap every afternoon and alternate drinks with water. Have some snacks in your room and wear sunscreen.
Heya Heart of Haute Fans! It's Mandie Bee here. I wanted to share with you a little somethin' new I've been promoting recently. The "Like" it and Win it contest! 1-2 times a month, I will post a specific item that will be up for grabs! 1 lucky random winner will be chosen within days of the contest start and win the featured dress!
This Week's Like it and Win it dress is the Sweetie Dress in Black Cerise!
Be sure you join us on Facebook to get in on the fun!
With Love & No Regrets,
- She enjoys Celtic Punk music.
- She started her blog 3 years ago after numbers of people would e-mail her with questions about where she got her outfits for photo shoots. She thought it would be simpler and more effective to blog about the products she shoots in, that way the companies would receive recognition and her fans would get some great info, too!
- She loves Heart of Haute for our fit and overall quality. She says she adores the Ella top because the buttons don't pucker over her bust. Yes! A button-up blouse for busty ladies? It's true.
- Teer is also recognized as a plus size model and reminds us that beauty should never be associated with a dress size. She says she is definitely a promoter of healthy body image. Love your curves, girls!
- Her advice to ladies of all sizes? Girl. Wear what you want. If you've got it, show it off and be proud of yourself.