Heart of Haute Blog
Mid century America was crazy for all things tropical and Hawaiian. Many served in the South Pacific during World War II, and returned home with tales of palm trees and rum. Hawaii's 1959 statehood and the advent of quick and more affordable jet travel made it a popular - yet still exotic - travel destination. "Trader Vic" Bergeron opened his first restaurant in California in 1934, serving an approximation of Cantonese food and concocting cocktails like the Mai Tai. All over the country, Polynesian pop culture spread - tiki bars, backyard luaus, and Exotica albums and movies were everywhere. Those who still still celebrate the sips, styles and sounds from this era meet up at various tiki weekend parties all over the country. Two of the biggest are the Hukilau (June 6-9th in Fort Lauderdale) and Tiki Oasis (August 15-18th in San Diego).
- Bring more than one bathing suit. A lot of the events are poolside, and you don't want to be pulling on a soggy suit after a midnight dip in the Ocean. A stylish swimsuit cover up, like our quick drying Knotty Dress, is also a must.
- At the Hukilau, the Mai Kai can be quite warm inside. I like a cocktail dress that will still keep me cool. The Sweetie Dress in Hip Kitty has an authentic vintage shape, and a print that will help you stand out in the sea of floral aloha wear. Get to the Mai Kai with plenty of time before your dinner show reservation to enjoy the gardens and the great happy hour prices in the Molokai Bar. The Moonkist Coconut is my favorite drink.
- The Paradise Dress has a great retro wiggle dress shape in a perfect tropical pattern, with a faux sarong front that ties at the waist.
- There is a lot of standing, dancing, and walking around. I like wedges for just a little more comfort.
- Tiki Oasis has a theme each year - for 2013, it's "Hulabilly." For this mix of Hawaiian and country rockabilly style, bring our Ellie Tie Front Top in Red Gingham, a sweet Heart of Haute top, or gingham headbands and hair bows. Our best selling Sweetie Dress comes in red, blue, olive, and black gingham - the perfect fit for this "Hawaiian Hootenanny."
- Accessories! These parties are not the time to be subtle. I always bring tons of hair flowers, sunglasses, and jewelry. A few extra to loan to your best friend is always a good plan.
- I don't actually stay at the official Hukilau hotel(s). I like the Best Western Oceanside. It's right next door and has a cute little pool and free breakfast.
- Don't overdo it! Take a nap every afternoon and alternate drinks with water. Have some snacks in your room and wear sunscreen.
Sarong swimsuit pinupgirlclothing.com
Crown Vintage vintage wedge dsw.com
Flower hair accessory heartofhaute.com
Flower hair accessory heartofhaute.com
Ceramic Volcano Tiki Bowl | Tiki Mugs | RetroPlanet.com retroplanet.com
Red Gingham heartofhaute.com
Deadly Dames Vamp 2pc Swim Suit in Tiger | Pinup Girl Clothing pinupgirlclothing.com
Nine West ChillPill vip.zappos.com
heartbreaker hair flower by Heartbreaker Fashion heartofhaute.com
Shiekh Shoes Web Store - Womens Tiki-102 shiekhshoes.com
Hello Heart of Haute Fans! Mandie Bee here. I've been busy buzzing around getting things done over here at HoH HQ this Spring. I've been meaning to post this blog entry for a while because I wanted to share my experience working with one of my favorite models! During Viva Las Vegas, my crew of lady friends (Katrina, Tara, and Sabina) and I were busy preparing for a quick photo shoot with the darling and dreamy Teer Wayde of Melbourne, Australia. Teer has been a fan of Heart of Haute for years and we've been a fan of hers! In her blog, Curves to Kill, she shares her favorite finds as well as product reviews from various fashion lines. We are happy and honored to be among the brands she favors and reviews! While I was having my makeup done by Sabina (because I was also shooting that day), I had a ton of questions for Teer. So, I had a verbal interview with her as my eyelash glue was drying. It was kind of comical talking to her with one eye nearly glued shut, but I guess that's my way of doing things. Casual, short, and sweet. I personally wanted to know about her and get her opinion on a few things as well. So here are some fun facts about Teer:
- She enjoys Celtic Punk music.
- She started her blog 3 years ago after numbers of people would e-mail her with questions about where she got her outfits for photo shoots. She thought it would be simpler and more effective to blog about the products she shoots in, that way the companies would receive recognition and her fans would get some great info, too!
- She loves Heart of Haute for our fit and overall quality. She says she adores the Ella top because the buttons don't pucker over her bust. Yes! A button-up blouse for busty ladies? It's true.
- Teer is also recognized as a plus size model and reminds us that beauty should never be associated with a dress size. She says she is definitely a promoter of healthy body image. Love your curves, girls!
- Her advice to ladies of all sizes? Girl. Wear what you want. If you've got it, show it off and be proud of yourself.
I first heard about the Pearl Hotel whilst mingling poolside at Tiki Oasis just last summer. I immediately thought it was the kind of place a girl like me would belong. And so it was! After the Zoo, we found our way over to The Pearl (as mentioned in my previous post). While heading down the road, you might miss it in a blink. This place must have once been an old run down side-of-the-highway motels you see in any town. However, the Pearl's owner saw its potential as a beautiful new and hip side-of-the-highway mid-century mod inspired hotel! This 25-roomed hideaway is a new favorite and I will definitely return for their summer Dive-in movie! Yes, they have a giant projector screen above the pool, so you can lounge or swim about while watching popular old movies from the past. They also have a hip little lounge where you can play a variety of board games or cards. I have every intention to get in on that action, but we were having too much fun at the bar playing Space Team on our iPhones. Seriously. Space Team is totally geeky, but a lot of fun to play if you have 2-4 friends. Try it! After a solid power nap, Kevin and I spruced up a bit and walked on over to the bar. I wore my favorite stand by and perfect traveling dress, the Nice Dress from the Mandie Bee line. Not only is the food delicious at the Pearl, (and we only ate the veggies) the cocktails are to die for! We have to thank the bartender, Emily, for providing super service and delicious concoctions. She made me a blackberry-something-something lemon drop with honey? She said she made it up as she went. That's cool! If you're a sucker for tasty craft cocktails like me, you'll have to at least stop by their bar for a drink. You will not be disappointed. Promise! The rooms are very nice and fresh. The cutest thing about the room itself is the permanent room mate. This was our room mate, Ace. Who knew a beta fish would be good company?! We managed to order too much champagne and fell asleep at an unreasonable hour, but woke up with the security of knowing checkout time was at noon and not something silly like...say, 11. With Love & No Regrets, Mandie Bee
Hello Heart of Haute! It's Mandie here. I wanted to share with you a recent mini-getaway I took with my new beau, Kevin. We went to the world famous San Diego Zoo! For us, San Diego is far enough away to feel like a vacation destination while staying within Southern California. After about 90 miles and some really silly conversation, we arrived at our destination. We parked it in Panda 3 and happily skipped off to check out the little buddies of the world. I personally had not been to a zoo since I was a little one. Going back again as an adult is seemingly way more fun. I also found myself being more appreciative of the things that exist in this world. The grounds at the zoo are very nice with winding paths that lead from one exhibit to the next. It's a little paradise. So what does Mandie Bee from Heart of Haute wear to the zoo? Well, I am a cat lover and I felt it would be entirely appropriate to wear my Tara Top in Leopard! I'm also wearing my all time favorite Ultra Lux cat eye sunglasses from Tres Noir. I really can't leave home without them. We carry quite a few of them in our webstore, too. Here's just a quick photo diary of some of the animals (and flowers) we visited.... Fantastic Flamingos! Jungle Book anyone? Ooo bee doo! I wanna be like you-oo-oo Spectacular Snake Skeleton Fascinating Orchid green house.... Stay tuned for my next adventure as I review and sincerely compliment the Pearl Hotel in San Diego. We spend our evening at this splendid destination after our excursion at the zoo and have nothing but sweet things to say! With Love & No Regrets, Mandie Bee!