Heart of Haute Blog
Pin up or pinup images got their name from the way that they were "pinned up" on the walls of barracks, bunkers, office walls, ships, and even planes during war time. These alluring photos and illustrations were created to help raise the "morale" of the many young men serving long, dangerous tours away from friends, family, and love. 1940s era pinups were a part of a long history of soldiers customizing their gear and living quarters - a tradition that continues today.
From Rita Hayworth in her nightgown to Betty Grable in her bathing suit, patriotic pin up girls were everywhere, even in Yank - the unfortunately (or appropriately) named weekly magazine published by the US Army. Winston Churchill jokingly dubbed Jane, a blonde cartoon pin up drawn in the Daily Mirror Newspaper 'Britain's secret weapon.' War time pin ups even moved out of photos and postcards to be painted on jackets, the side of tanks and bombers, and tattooed on many bodies. Pin ups were depicted in dresses, lingerie, bathing suits, sometimes even less.
Pin ups in modified military uniforms were created to show sexy support for the war effort. The sailor or Navy pinup has always been popular, appearing even in early Sailor Jerry tattoo designs. This iconographic look is patriotic, retro, and above all sexy. Nautical style is always fresh and classic, and Heart of Haute can help you use the best of this venerable vintage American look to create a memorable modern pin up figure. We have curated an amazing Patriotic pinup style collection - red, white and blue looks good on you! Perfect for 4th of July parties, parades, and the many summer festivals that we all enjoy.
Our Sailor dress is a classic - based on the pattern of a vintage dress, it has nautical pin up style without looking too much like a costume. Available in a patriotic palette of red, white and blue! In cool, crisp 100% high quality cotton, this dress is versatile and flattering with side ties for a perfect fit. Our sweet anchor print in pale blue can be found on our Matey Dress and Ella Top. Add a matching headband for a Rosie the Riveter inspired vintage look. You can even get the Baby Beverly Dress in Blue Anchors for the perfect mother daughter photo look!
As we celebrate the unique country that we live in, why not do it in a unique outfit that was made in America by Heart of Haute? A special thank you and an extra kiss from Heart of Haute to all of those who have served in the U.S. Military - past, present, and future!
You may have noticed a beautiful new face adorning the HoH website and instagram feed lately.... Well she's a blonde bombshell who spends her days portraying every pinup's idol Miss Marilyn Monroe at the very fun Universal Studios Hollywood! Check out our interview with this lovely lady.
1. Tell us 5 fun facts about yourself! - I play a dead hollywood icon at Universal Studios, Hollywood! - I'm obsessed with Chipotle - all my friends know to give me a Chipotle gift card for my b-day. - My favorite movie is 'A League of Their Own' and I can quote the whole thing! - I have a weakness for men in nice suits. (like Jimmy Fallon , and Roger Sterling from 'Mad Men') - I have a good sense of humor and love meeting people with one too, most of my friends should be on SNL!
2. How does vintage inspired fashion make you feel? -Vintage inspried fashion makes me feel unique and classy - you don't find many women dressing like this today, and when I do decide to dress vintage when I go out I will always receive a compliment from a stranger, and not a man but usually a fellow woman! Once I got hired as Marilyn at Universal Studios I had to become familiar with all her movies and any documentation there was on her, and when I was researching I fell in love with the classic old hollywood world of glamour. Not only did I love Marilyn but I started looking up other famous movie stars from the era and became fascinated with their style and history. My top girls are Betty Grable, Lana Turner, Anita Ekberg, Hedy Lamar and Rita Hayworth. These women shaped me, I wanted to look like them, act like them, and I quickly found other people shared the same interests with modern takes on the era.. then I found clothing stores, models & burlesque performers and I just can't get enough! I guess what I'm trying to say is that I love companies like Heart of Haute who are keeping the classic glamourous style and fashion alive!
3. Have you always been confident in your curves? -Curves, what curves? Haha! In highschool I was flat everywhere and skinny - flat enough to play checkers on. But after going through the awkward stage I found role models with the same body type as me like Gwen Stefani, who I thought were gorgeous! I took lil bits and pieces of what they dressed like and made it my own. Plus now I can thank Chipotle for the little butt it gave me - still getting used to that! :p
4. What are your top 5 favorite Heart of Haute pieces? - Only 5??!
- I'll start with the Hilda Dress - the little puff sleeves always make my arms look good and my waist look smaller!
- the Marseilles Dress in Baby Blue Sateen - It makes me feel like Cinderella! Good for disney-bounding!
- The Gigi Tee is a very sexy top and I feel a bit like Wanda Woodward from 'CryBaby'- who I adore!
- Super Spy Dress in Black - it's mysterious, tight-fitting and classic. I feel like scatting while wearing it!
- My favorite piece is the Diva Suit in Ivory - I have never felt more like Lana Turner in my life. It's great for business yet so well fitted, and comfy!
5. What are your goals for your modeling career? - I want to continue my modeling career for as long as I can! I enjoy it too much and the clothes - oh you can never go wrong! Vintage fashion will always be in style I like meeting people in this field who've got similar interests and getting to see their individual take on it.
Haute Honey Rachel Jensen of Chicago Chic reviews her favorite Heart of Haute dresses and separates!
If you're a pinup lover and have an instagram you've probably seen some photos of this gorgeous doll floating around your feed! This curvaceous lady is Rachel Jenson of the popular Chicago Chic Blog. She reviews the most glamorous of clothing companies, including Wheels & Dollbaby, and Dita Von Teese. We collaborated with this lovely lady and couldn't believe how beautiful her photos are! Her corseted curves and porcelain complexion make a beautiful silhouette for our pieces! Check her out in the Estelle Top in Black:
Topped off with matching Lil Lou Lou hair bows! This dress in Red Gingham is perfect for Valentine's day! And a classic spring choice. Rachel takes our spring classic and makes it fantastic!
The first new print that's coming soon is a lovely little fabric we call 'Peggy Plaid.' ...and there may be a similar version in black and white! This new print comes in two versions - Gold and Slate. 'Shimmer Gold' is a lovely ivory background with bursts of gold. This fabric and the dresses it's made in are subtly chic and quite lovely to behold.Our newest floral print, 'Isabella', is a gorgeous mixture of bright spring colors on a black background. Need something new, now? Check out our newest dress styles and fabrics >> here !
The Monique Dress is a good choice for this fabric as it's bateau neckline show as much of this awesome print as possible!
Also available in the Maybeline Dress, which is a great choice for spring and summer! It has ties on the shoulders to easily conceal your bra straps and keep things in place. I love the Maybeline because it reminds me of the dresses I used to play dress up in at my grandma's house. The one's that I eventually coveted and wore to school once they fit me just right!Monique Dress seems like a no-brainer, especially since we haven't had any kind of pink Monique's for a while! Sweetie Dress - the classic vintage style halter dress with a sweetheart neckline. The Sweetie really is universally flattering, no matter what size or shape! What could be more perfect? So whaddaya say? Are you ready to go bold this spring? :) Photos by Mandie Bee / Modeled by Pinky Swear <3 Ali for HoH
The Super Spy Dress in Navy Before we changed our name from Heartbreaker Fashion to Heart of Haute, Teer reviewed quite a few of our dresses and separates. Read Teer's previous blog post where she reviews the Hilary Dress, Tara Top, Beverly Dress & Monte Carlo Dress. Also read Teer's first blog post featuring Heart of Haute where she reviews the Marilyn Tee, Vogue Pencil Skirt, & Super Spy Dress. The Monte Carlo Dress in Lake Want more Teer? Follow her on Facebook, Tumblr, & Twitter, Teer Wayde is represented by Bella Models, and can be contacted at her official website www.TeerWayde.com <3 Ali for HoH <3