Heart of Haute Blog
Heart of Haute is known for those beautiful, figure flattering dresses with the swooping full skirts, the incredible prints, and unique vintage designs. While this may be true, we are also VERY, very busy when it comes to making all those solid basics every Haute Honey needs in her wardrobe. We know you mix and match your pieces to get that perfect pinup look. We also know that our Marilyn Top, Etstelle Top, and Sweet Sweater have been at the top of your shopping list! If you don't own one of these awesome staples yet, today may be the day to try one...or all three!!!
And if you DO have one of these, just remember that they all come in an array of different colors and prints. Here are some of our top picks and best sellers that every Haute Honey needs in her closet this season!
1. The Aimee Dress in Sunshine Daisy
In a world that may be turning gray, you can still brighten up the day in this beautiful Sunshine Daisy print! Just the right colors to welcome in the Fall. We've done it up in our classic Aimee dress.
2. The Sweet Sweater
It is an undeniable truth that the Sweet Sweater is one of our greatest inventions! You will never have a better sweater, we promise. This baby is there right when you need it. Compact enough to roll up and hold in your purse until you need it. The Sweet sweater also comes in tons of great solid colors, so you can mix and match with your closet as needed.
3. The Haute Circle Skirt in Patriot Plaid Flannel
I bet you didn't think you could wear flannel outside of some comfy PJ's or when your boyfriend let's you borrow his flannel at camp, right? WRONG!!! A few years ago, Heart of Haute took a great liking to a line of flannels and decided they were fashion worthy. This means warm, cotton dresses and skirts for you! Not everyone can hang with wool, I get it. Our flannels are high quality and light weight. If you don't know, it may be time to find out.
4. The Diva Jacket
So far proven to become a favorite among the honeys and fashion bloggers like Miss Amy May and Teer Wayde. This fitted jacket with the adorable peplum is chic, stlyin', and will automatically make you feel like...well...a DIVA. Don't believe us? Find out for yourself. In fact, we had such a great response from ya'll, we added this style in MORE COLORS!!!! Don't forget the matching skirt!
5. The Estelle Blouse in Chambray Dot
The Estelle Top is the sweetest blouse vintage fashion enthusiasts have seen yet! This has become a swift favorite for its classic very-vintage styling. Honeys LOVE to pair this blouse with our skirts.
6. The Vogue Pencil Skirt
Classic lines for you classic lookin' gals out there. The Vogue skirt is a high-waisted dream boat of a skirt with a matching belt, stretch twill to hug your lady curves, and a sensational walking slit. Knock 'em dead, Honey. The Vogue Pencil skirt comes in black, navy, and red.
7. The Manhattan Dress in Caramel
The Manhattan Dress was a complete success last Autumn when we first released her to the world! Now, we've added a delightfully dapper new color. Feast your eyes on this Caramel color Manhattan dress.
8. The Doreen Dress in Watch Plaid
Back to School Babes, be glad! Mandie Bee's spin on this classic print will have every head turnin' while you waltz your way through the commons. It even has 2 front pockets to hold your phone when you're on the go go go!
9.The Elsa Top in Tartan Plaid
The Elsa Blouse is the long-sleeved sister of our popular Estelle Blouse. It's the perfect blouse for layering up with sweaters and skirts. To keep things classic, we chose this red Tartain plaid to
10. The Super Spy Dress
Ah yes, will we ever get tired of this dress? 10,000 happy customers agree that this is the dress of the century! Modeled by our pal, Bernie Dexter, The infamous Super Spy Dress has been a part of our line since 2005 and it is STILL a best selling item every Fall and Winter season. Honeys even admit to re-ordering when their original one begins to show its wear....it's timeless. It's sexy. It's got a cool name! (I sometimes like to believe it was the inspiration for Lana's wardrobe on the Archer TV show.)
Bonus Feature! Because Our Super Spy Dress is such a hot seller, it only made sense to offer the same classic cut as a top!
An interest in the exotic (and largely imagined) lifestyle of the South Pacific has been a part of American fashion and culture since the 1920s. In the 1940s, many served in the South Pacific during World War II, and returned home with tales of palm trees and rum. Hawaii's 1959 statehood and the advent of quick and more affordable jet travel made it a popular - yet still exotic - travel destination. "Trader Vic" Bergeron opened his first restaurant in California in 1934, serving an approximation of Cantonese food and concocting cocktails like the Mai Tai. Mid-century America was crazy for Polynesian pop culture in the 1950s and 1960s: Tiki bars, backyard luaus, and Exotica music and movies were everywhere.
The tiki trend vanished from the mainstream in the 1970s, but it has recently found new devotees and an increase in popularity. Those who still still celebrate the sips, styles and sounds from this era meet up at various tiki weekend parties all over the country, and Tiki Oasis is the biggest and longest-running event.
Each year, Tiki Oasis has a different theme. For 2016, the theme is Party on Monster Island - “From rubber Godzillas tearing apart the South Seas to surfin, Go Go dancing Frankenstein and Wolfman, creatures have always been lurking in paradise.”
If you attend Tiki Oasis, you will probably want a couple of outfits that work with the Party on Monster Island theme, plus some of your best and brightest aloha wear, whether vintage or new. Here are our ideas for Tiki Oasis 2016:
- The 1940s brought us loads of creepy monster movies, from Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man to The Cat People. For a 1940s scream queen look, try the Madison Dress, the Manhattan Dress, or the Diva Suit in Navy, Red, or Black. The Betsy Blouse or Gretta Top are great separates to complete your “sexy scientist who saves the day” look. For a ton of movie gossip and inspirational images, check out Heroines & Scream Queens of Classic Horror: The 1940s.
- For a classic 1950s damsel in distress look, try our Diner Dress, the Elizabeth Dress in our new border print Bethany Floral, or the Haute Circle Skirt in Picnic Gingham. Get ready by watching Creature from the Black Lagoon or Plan 9 From Outer Space. Shop Vampira’s closet with the Ella Top in Black Stripe, The Mod Dress in Black, and the best-selling Super Spy Dress.
- Some of the monsters in vintage media came from other planets. As space exploration increased in the 1960s, so did our imagined fears. To create a retro 1960s space babe look, try our Doreen Dress, Coco Skirt, Twirl Skirt in Cosmos print, or the Fifi Dress in a Navy or Orange space age star print. Need more alien invasion inspiration? Check out this awesome list of horror, fantasy, and science fiction films of 1960s.
If you are looking for some tiki bar basics, don’t miss out on our Paradise, Sweetie, and Rebecca Dresses, all available in our tapa cloth inspired Tiki Serenade Print. Don’t forget to pack a new hair flower, and a sweater to ward off any air-conditioned chill. We have colors and styles ranging from basic black to fashionable coral. Need to save some money for mai tais? Check out our Sale Rack for some exclusive South Pacific Style savings, including:
Enjoy your visit to Monster Island, and if you wear Heart of Haute at Tiki Oasis 2016, don’t forget to tag yourself as a #hautehoney!
“Made in California with Love & No Regrets!”
(Pictured: Monique Dress in Tulips Black)
You may ask yourself, what exactly does that mean? At Heart of Haute it means a great deal to us that we are able to assure our loyal customers that we produce all our beautifully crafted clothing right here in Southern California. In fact. all our skirts, dresses, and tops are cut and sewn right here in San Dimas at our Headquarters along with the services of three local sewing factories in Los Angeles, that each follow the same ethical practices we follow.
Buying clothing Made in the USA comes with many ethically great practices that you support and contribute to positively. Some factors to take into consideration when buying from Heart of Haute - Made in the USA clothing:
We are contributing to fair wage standards that are maintained in the United States. Unlike mega chain fast fashion retailers that we won’t name, but you know who they are, we believe it is important to pay all employees a fair wage so that they are able to live a comfortable lifestyle. That includes the employees in the production facilities who are sewing your clothing together with the employee who is delicately wrapping and shipping out your order from headquarters.
We are also helping our planet earth! You may ask “how?” According to www.takepart.com, Americans produce an estimated 11 million pounds of textiles to be thrown away every year. We encourage everyone to use proper recycling methods and donation facilities but, most of the time that is not the case. When consumers buy clothing from fast fashion retailers the clothing is purchased at a very low price. The quality of the material being used will not withstand many washes and will therefore tear and have to be thrown away faster. Most of the time the non-biodegradable clothing end up in landfills which means that the clothing will sit in landfills for at least 200 years until the textiles start to decompose. When purchasing clothing at Heart of Haute you are getting great quality fabric that will be sure to last you a long time.
Heart of Haute also works closely with local colleges who are educating the next generation of fashion professionals. These ethical and socially conscious students can see first hand the importance of their contribution while learning how to carry forward these best practices.
At Heart of Haute we take pride in producing our clothing in the USA. It is important to us, and we hope after reading this blog post it will be important to you as well, and make you more aware of your purchases the next time you go out shopping.
Heart of Haute Fashion Marketing Intern from Cal Poly Pomona
How are you feeling today?
Sweet? Sultry? Maybe a little Sassy?
One thing we know for sure, you are a Haute Honey if you are reading this! We all know that depending on your mood, you may be feeling all kinds of honey goodness. What kind of Honey are you today? What about tomorrow? Occasions change, moods change and so do you! Discover your inner Haute Honey with a dose of Heart of Haute and you will be surprised at what a statement you can make!
Sweet Honey is a lovely little lady who's excellent dinner parties always leave her guests drooling for more. She's that dear friend who's got the best advice, once she's done being an awesome listener! When Sweet Honey reaches for her go-to outfit of the day, it's a carefree floral frock that she can wear with comfort and class that knocks the socks off any onlooker.
Sweet Honey is everyone's dear friend. Always in search of the perfect bridesmaid dress, and she has found it in the Heart of Haute for Bettie Page Bridal's new Yvette dress, in care free washable poly 'Baby Pink Shantung'. Of course her betrothed friend approves! Sweet Honey saves the day - it's gorgeous, comfortable and affordable - the wedding party applauds her excellent taste (and for watching out for them!) She is so Sweet!
Sassy Honey is a gal on the go, a style savvy sweetie who's always sporting her favorite novelty print. Whether it's a regular day at school, or a night out at a gig with friends, this sassy babe's style is always on point.
Sassy Honey is having quite the dilemna. How to go from a busy day at the office to the dance club tonight with no time to change? The Roxie dress, of course. With a little cardi to cover her shoulders, her look goes from day to night seamlessly. The Roxie in fabulous 'Constellations' print, with it's full swing skirt, is just the answer for dancing under the stars til the sun comes up.
Sultry Honey is a boss babe with impeccable taste. Emulating tones of classic Hollywood glamour in her everyday life is this honey's forte. Sultry Honey's classy style is sure to provide killer curves with just the right amount of sex appeal.
When Sultry Honey takes over, she can make dressing in work attire an exercise in seduction. Her perfect workday staple piece; the Estelle Blouse in 'Vintage Polka Dot Pink'. This semi-sheer feminine blouse leaves a lot to the imagination, with a fit that flatters all over.
Sultry Honey knows how to dress to impress. The classic Diva Suit is a go-to for this style savvy seductress. Pairing the Diva Skirt with any Heart of Haute top is the perfect start to a work week, but can also be easily transitioned into a sleek nighttime look.
So Haute Honeys, tell me, what kind of Honey are YOU today?
If you are searching for ideas for your 2016 Mardi Gras outfit, you can't go wrong with gold, green, and purple. These three official Mardi Gras colors are everywhere - and we have amazing options for you that feature them.
During Mardi Gras, or carnival, lots of people are dressed in their best - and wildest! There are costume contests everywhere in the city, so don't be afraid to wear something that gets a lot of attention. That said, the French Quarter can get crowded and messy at this time, so make sure you are comfortable - and read these Mardi Gras tips!
Here are our picks for amazing, vintage-inspired 2016 Mardi Gras looks:
- Sparkle in Gold: Try our Marie dress in a shimmering gold and turquoise patterned fabric, or the luminous Copper Allure fabric in our sexy Sweetie dress, the pin-up worthy Serena dress, or our Circle Skirt. Looking for something with a black base? Try our Sweetie Dress in Copper Stars, or the Monique Dress in Gold Rings.
- Shimmer in Separates: Try the Best Frocks Forever Circle Skirt (created in partnership with Pinup Girl Clothing's Pinup Couture) in Metro Metallic Gold. This full circle skirt is a touch shorter than our other Heart of Haute circle skirts - great for petites, or just a sassy look! It may get cool while you are partying outdoors, so pack our Sweet Sweater in the new Gold Sparkle.
- Demure Daytime Looks: Our purple and green Phoebe Paisley or Garden Royale print Amanda dress is perfect for daytime sight-seeing. Show your sweet Southern style in our Beverly Dress in Hydrangeas, or our Monique Dress in Ava Rose Blue.
- Almost Sold Out: Nothing says New Orleans like the iconic Fleur Di Lis, and we have just a few Monique dresses left in our striking Gold Fleur Di Lis fabric. These are almost sold out, so grab one now for Mardi Gras 2016! Our gathered Gypsy Skirt in an ornate metallic Medallion print is also almost gone.
- Peacocks on Royal Street: Will you be strolling down Royal street our Peacock Royale print? Stand out in the French Quarter in a dress or skirt in the best-selling print. Instant costume when combined with a peacock feather Mardi Gras mask!
- Crescent City Shopping: Don't forget to leave a little room in your suitcase for all of the great shopping, both in the French Quarter and on Magazine Street. Check out Dollz and Dames, A Girl Is A Gun, and pick up some extras for your carnival costume at Trashy Diva.
Even if you are just heading to a local Fat Tuesday party, Heart of Haute has you covered with loads of choices for festive carnival style - with a retro touch. If you wear Heart of Haute for Mardi Gras, don't forget to tag yourself as a #hautehoney - we love seeing your looks!